Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default milling slot question

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 08:00:20 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On 17 Jan 2016 02:44:58 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-01-16, wrote:
I've got a little job I need to do/get done. I am working on the
wing
strut fittings for the bush-plane. There are 4 struts - so 8 strut
end
fittings. They are made of 1X1 6061T6 - 4 abot 4 1/4 inches long,
and
4 about 5 1/2 inches long.
2 need 1/4 inch slots, 4 need .195" slots, and 2 need 3/16 "
slots -
all 1 3/8" deep.

O.K. That 1x1" -- is that square solid stock, or angle stock?

Solid 6061T6

And the 1-3/8" deep suggests that the cuts are from the end, not
through the thickness, even if it is solid square stock.

It is through the thickness, from the end, to make a "fork"

My Clausing 8525 which is half the size of a Bridgeport can cut a full
depth (1-3/8") slot with a 4" slitting saw held in the cheapest of the
MSC arbors I referenced, though I have to make multiple passes because
the 1/2" collet doesn't transmit much torque. The example I have close
at hand is a home made 3/4" steel boring bar slit 1-1/8" deep into the
end, to tighten onto the bit.

It should be easier in aluminum with a new saw instead of the used
ones I cut steel with.
http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/M...navid=12106272

Makita panel saw blades are cheaper and somewhat larger:
http://www.toolbarn.com/makita-a-900...=547 12183694

-jsw

The MSC #: 73324048 would do the job IF I had an arbor - and it is
almost $90 plus shipping and brokerage - make that over $125
(Canadian) just for the cutter. - plus the cost of the arbor.

The cheapest arbor -MSC #: 08271058 adds another $45 plus shipping
and brokerage. - and then I need a mill that will take the 1/2" shank.
(which I don't have)

No worries - it's all being done on the CNC machine next week - or
whenever the machine is not in use.