Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default milling slot question

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 02:46:49 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 14:15:23 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 10:01:04 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 10:20:20 AM UTC-5, Clare wrote:

If I had access to a horizontal mill it would make life a lot easier,
but nobody has them any more.

I think I would do it on a table saw. You could try making one out of wood and see how accurate you can make the slots.

Wear eye protection

Dan

The fun comes in holding the piece in place verticaly, cutting the
slot 1 3/8" deep into the end of the workpiece while dodging all the
flying hot and sharp chips, and getting an acceptable finish AND
accurate slot width.. This needs to be "aircraft precision", not "
lay it out with a crayon and cut with an axe"
These 8 pieces keep the wing from folding up in flight, or falling to
the ground on landing.

So the bottoms of the slots will be properly radiused?

That is done by the drilled "stop hole" - or by the end mill
finishing the slot - 3/16" slot with 3/32 radius.