Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Structured Media Cabinet

On 1/17/2016 8:33 AM, randy wrote:
So I will be building a new house this spring and am
looking at whether it is worth it to go with a
structured media enclosure or just mounting modem,
router, switches, voip box etc on a piece of 3/4
plywood on the basement wall.

Any thoughts?

This depends on what you are trying to do. In ANY case,
planning for it before the house is framed and drywalled
is a no-brainer! You will save yourself SO much time,
money and aggravation!!

[Take it from me, I retrofitted all of this to a "frontier
style" home built on a slab: no basement, no attic!
Can you spell PITA???]

I assume you will want, at least, your:
- "internet gateway" (cable modem, DSL modem, etc.) located there
- possibly a wireless access point (though that could be elsewhere
if you have another convenient place at the end of a drop in
which to "HIDE" it)
- network switch(es)

You should consider, additionally:
- backup power for switch, gateway, WAP, etc. (can't use a battery
powered laptop to get onto the 'net if those boxes are unpowered!)
- feeds for incoming CATV, phone and CAT5/6 (i.e., assume you may,
someday, have a highspeed fiber *to* your house fed in much the
same way as wired land line, CATV, etc. You want to be able to get
*to* that from the network switch
- router or some other sort of packet filtering device ("firewall")
- a media server (e.g., HTPC) hidden out of the way (what better
place than in such a closet?)
- VoIP-PSTN gateway (in case you opt to keep ties to TPC without
VoIP through your ISP)
- Analog Telephone Adapter(s) (in case you want to maintain some
legacy station set that isn't VoIP capable)
- "base station" for a cordless phone

Aside from the "obvious" places to which you'd install "uncommitted"
drops (bedrooms, office, living room, etc.), I'd run drops to:
- a location for a WIRED "smart thermostat"
- locations for any CCTV ("IP") cameras you might later install
- locations for any networked appliances (TV, refrigerator, "stereo")
- nontraditional locations:
+ wanna work on your car while consulting some documents or a
laptop based "tester"?
+ wanna work on the back porch without needing to expose your wireless?
+ unfinished basement may eventually find a "finished" use?

Lastly, consider adopting a PoE switch (depending on number of drops
you ultimately support) and wiring conventions so you can deliver
*power* to the devices at the ends of those drops (e.g., install a
VoIP phone *without* having to hang a wall wart from a nearby outlet
in the living room, etc.)

Regardless of what you do, realize that there are criteria that
govern how you run the wires (how hard you can pull on them,
how tight a bend radius, etc.). Additionally, there are Code
requirements that govern where they can be run (proximity to
other conductors, air handling spaces, etc.).

If in doubt, talk to an electrician who is familiar with these
issues (not all are, in more than a cursory manner!)

Good luck!