Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Clearing Drains with Air Pressure

On 1/15/2016 9:01 AM, TomR wrote:
In ,
taxed and spent typed:
"Don Y" wrote in message
On 1/14/2016 10:40 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I have seen these gadgets that use air pressure for drain pipe
blockages. I
can see that could be useful where there are too many elbows in a
small diameter pipe for a regular snake. Anyone have experience
using pressure like this?

First thought I had was that all the other drains might need to be
plugged
first. And also what's a reasonable high pressure limit?

I have had this trouble with a 1-1/2 inch washing machine drain,
where there
are 4 elbows before it gets to the main house drain. I was able to
clear out part of the piping with a small diameter snake, but not
all. Eventually
got it cleared out alternating boiling water, then flushing with hot
water,
then drano, water flush, snake, etc. Also make a tight connection
from the
hot water faucet to the 1-1/2 standpipe and ran it until it flowed
normally.
All this worked, but it took a lot of time.

I have some devices that use water pressure to that end.
They have a place for a garden hose to be attached. They
are then inserted into the drain. The water pressure expands
their outer diameter until they fit snuggly in the drain opening.
The water coursing through them then pushes any obstructions out
of the drain.

The biggest issue with these are the typical vents associated with
most drains. These must be plugged lest the pressure never develop.
Note where the drains vent in your tub, sink, etc.

Things similar to:
http://www.amazon.com/G-T-Water-Products-186-Attachment/dp/B0000CBIWC

I have a couple of different sizes.

ditto. They work well, depending on the nature of the clog. I
generally have not bothered to plug other vents or drains. I just
push the hose in as far as it will go, and I figure I am about at
where the clog is. It is a simple first step approach.

The first time that I saw or heard of this device was once when a washing
machine drain line was backing up. The washing maching discharge hose went
directly into a 1 1/2 inch vertical PVC line and not into a laundry sink.
We decided to just call a plumber and he put that device inside the PVC pipe
and badda bing, badda boom, the clog was cleared. It was a no-brainer that
I easily could have done myself had I even known about that device and
bought one at Home Depot or Lowes.

They work well in kitchen sinks (if you ensure the "other sink" -- in case
you have two side-by-side -- is covered) and bathroom sinks (the vent is
usually easy to cover with your palm/fingers.

Bathtubs are a bit more of a chore as the vent is usually part of the
drain "closing" mechanism: remove it, clear any hair that's caught
in it while you're at it then cover it with your palm or one of those
rubbery aids used to open tight jar lids.

Other great tools to have are "Lonn Water Savers":

http://lonn.net/water/water-savers-water/heavy-duty-water-saver-handle-option-jet-stream.html
a couple of different varieties.

The convenient thing is that in laundry areas, there are already hose
connections there. That makes me think that it might make sense to install
a garden hose valve fitting in a hot water supply line in other locations
such as under a bathrrom or vanity sink, or in an access panel behind a tub,
etc.

Not sure it is worth the effort. A (new, never laid in the outside dirt)
50 ft hose can usually tackle most "in home" uses while connecting to an
outdoor bibb.