Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/14/2016 8:31 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/14/2016 08:07 AM, Don Y wrote:

How do ebook pages compare to print pages? E.g., can you provide a count
for some (popular) title that I could contrast with a print version?
And, does page count vary based on (chosen) font size?

Yes, if you choose a larger or smaller font the page is reflowed. There is a
percentage given but not a page count.

This is really apples and codfish since I don't have a book as small as the

Isn't it about the size of a "pocketbook"?

Kindle screen, but a Per Wahloo detective story in a English paperback has
about 300 words on a full page. The paperback is 8x5 with a fairly dense text
format. A Asa Larsson mystery (in German) on the Kindle has about 160 but the
Kindle screen is 5x3.5.

Wow! Are you sure about that size? Hell, that's barely larger than an
INDEX CARD!

An English novel with a little more dialog to break up
the page was 150.

I'm not sure it's a meaningful metric. The percentage is equivalent to looking
at a paper book and gauging how far along you are. I believe the newer models
try to predict how long it will take you to finish based on your reading rate.

For me, the issue would be how often you were "flipping" pages.
The typical 1.5 - 2" thick paperbacks that seem to be the norm,
nowadays, take me about 1.5 - 2 minutes to read a verso and recto page
before having to "flip". An ereader would halve that time just because
it only shows recto pages.

But, if the pages are considerably smaller (due to screen size of
lack of display resolution at "typical" typeface sizes), then
it could be even faster!