Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/14/2016 11:12 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/14/2016 10:33 PM, Don Y wrote:
When I undertake a car repair, I find the camera a great expedient
to track which bolts came off of which mechanism, etc. Or, recording how
cables were dressed.

That does beat a crude sketch on the back of whatever I had laying around.

A neighbor gave me the idea of using a digital camera to document
things. I'd never been much of a camera buff. But, once he
brought the idea up and made me realize I never had to "develop"
any film (i.e., ENDLESS PHOTOS!), it was like getting slapped in the head
with a brick: d'uh!

She's usually not interested in where/when a photo was taken.
Rather, she's captured the "texture" of water running over a
submerged rock. Or, a cloud pattern. Or, sky color. Or, what
some particular creature looks like. I.e., something that she
can use as a "model" for a drawing/painting without having to
be *there*, again.

I don't do art so it's more about remembering the day. If I can remember where
it was. Some I certainly can like Muir Rock at Kings Canyon or the goats I met
on the trail at Mt. Aneas. Other times I've seen too many waterfalls and
mountain vistas unless they're really memorable ones.

I don't rely on photos to preserve "(personally) important things".
I figure if they are important, I'll remember them. If not, then
I won't!

E.g., I can distinctly remember watching a sea turtle lay eggs
on the beach when I was ~5. Damn thing felt as big as *me*!
How could I possibly forget a thing like that?

OTOH, I doubt I could remember 1/4 of the names of the kids
in any of my grade school classes! shrug Haven't seen
any of them in 30+ years so why would their names "stick"?

OToOH, I can remember the date of birth of my best friend from college
and that's just as ancient!

Second bake is done. Yippee! Now I can get back to work...