Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/14/2016 11:04 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/14/2016 10:24 PM, Don Y wrote:
Branch libraries tend to be ~10,000 sq ft. Some closer to 5, others around
20. But, the trend seems to be "lots of open space" (instead of lots
of closely packed stacks).

The only branch library I've dealt with was at Ajo. It's a branch of the Tucson
library even though the mothership is 110 miles away.

Yeah, it's a suburb of Los Angeles...

There was a librarian,
Lily Salazar, who had very long arms. There wasn't much I asked for that she
couldn't produce through ILL, even if it had to trickle in from Texas on pony
Express. She died, all too young, and it hasn't been the same since.

From what I've gathered, the trick is to make sure it can be located
via WorldCat. Then, hope they have ILL privileges with one (or more)
of the institutions holding copies.

I've been told an ILL is ~$70. Not sure if those are direct *fees*
that the library absorbs (payable to the lender?) *or* if that's
what some bean-counter figured the cost of staff+resources divided
by number of ILLs worked out to... In either case, I figure this is
a resource that my tax dollars fund, so why not exploit it?

Presently looking for two documents that aren't present in WorldCat.
Had to track down author -- in Sweden. Now, spending a LOT of time
trying to prune my request down to the barest essentials -- but no
smaller (paraphrasing AEinstein). Author is ~70-ish and articles
are ~40 years old. So, this is going to be a real stretch! Don't
want to ask too much and get NOTHING ("too much effort to answer");
but, also don't want to omit some key question that I might never
get a SECOND chance to ask!