Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/14/2016 8:58 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/14/2016 11:31 AM, Don Y wrote:
Then, if she's got a photo of some BIRDS chasing a COYOTE
alongside a ROCKy RIVERbed at SUNSET, she can choose to apply
ALL of those tags to that picture. Later, if she's looking for
examples of "sunsets", she can search for photos tagged with
"atmosphere" and find this photo -- along with umpteen gazillion
others.

Great -- in theory. In practice, its almost impossible to use!

I've never had a lot of interest in photography but when the digital cameras
came out I started carrying one.

I use a digital camera to save typing. Easier for me to snap a photo,
shrink it to emailable size and send it as an attachment to a message
than it would be to try to describe a lot of things. E.g., to illustrate
how far from the house the water flowing *off* the roof falls as it
SHOOTS past the edge of the roof. A numerical measurement wouldn't
be anywhere near as impressive as seeing a sheet of water defying gravity
as it moves *sideways* instead of *down*!

A friend once observed that I only take pictures of *things*, not *people*.
My reply, "Of course! I *know* what these PEOPLE look like! And, if I
were to describe them to you, I surely wouldn't fixate on their *appearance*
but, rather, their relationship(s) to me, etc. How would I photograph
*that*?"

When I undertake a car repair, I find the camera a great expedient
to track which bolts came off of which mechanism, etc. Or, recording how
cables were dressed.

Likewise when I repair someone's laptop (as each one seems to be
different and filled with assorted bits of varying dimensions, etc.)

I've got a great collection of mountain tops,
waterfalls, canyons, alpine lakes, and so forth. I can identify about 20% of
the locations. Geotagging would be nice but I'm too much of a Luddite.

She's usually not interested in where/when a photo was taken.
Rather, she's captured the "texture" of water running over a
submerged rock. Or, a cloud pattern. Or, sky color. Or, what
some particular creature looks like. I.e., something that she
can use as a "model" for a drawing/painting without having to
be *there*, again.