Posted to alt.home.repair
Idlehands Idlehands is offline

Default eReader options

On 2016-01-14 8:07 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/13/2016 8:14 PM, Idlehands wrote:
On 2016-01-13 7:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/13/2016 5:56 PM, Susan Bugher wrote:
First things first. . .

https://www.overdrive.com/
The OverDrive app is one of the top-rated eBook apps available for iOS,
Android, Chromebook, Mac OS, Windows, and Windows Phone.

I suggest you go to YOUR library's site and see what they have to say
about HOW
you can read the type(s) of ebooks they offer.

Virtually all devices are supported -- along with PC/Mac "computers".
As she is NOT interested in reading on a computer (otherwise, any of the
desktops, laptops, tablets or other "appliances" that we have would be
acceptable options), this means getting a *device* that she can use to
fill the role that a print *book* would have filled.

Kobo Aura H2O, waterproof, dustproof 6.8" backlit screen. I have read
18,000
pages last quarter alone. Coming up to it's first anniversay of when I
purchased it it and love it.

How do ebook pages compare to print pages? E.g., can you provide a count
for some (popular) title that I could contrast with a print version?
And, does page count vary based on (chosen) font size?

For example, a recent read (for me) was _Snow Crash_ -- just under 500pp
in an ~8x10" format.

No idea, it's just a stat provided by my Kobo, I just read, I don't
worry about the comparisons.

This is my answer to replacing my paperback library since I have read
them all
to tatters

I've kept about 4 xerox boxes of paperbacks -- those that I reread the
most often or that have some other sentimental attachment. Or, that
are hard to find in other forms or lose much of their appeal in non-paper
forms (e.g., _Letters from the Earth_ --
http://www.sacred-texts.com/aor/twain/letearth.htm). Or, have quirky
little illustrations that complement the
"read".

A E van Vogt is my favorite science fiction author (I suspect I have every
title that he's written -- even reissues under different titles!). When
I encounter one of his titles at a used bookstore (increasingly rare),
I simply buy it, reread it and donate it (if I've already got a better
copy in storage). This allows me to reread without having to "wear"
titles out.

(Having said that, some titles simply don't hold up to use; e.g., _The
Yum Yum Book_ was printed on very "stiff" paper so the pages *break* off!)

(Buy the case for it as well).