Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Clearing Drains with Air Pressure

In ,
typed:
On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 09:40:56 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

I have seen these gadgets that use air pressure for drain pipe
blockages. I can see that could be useful where there are too many
elbows in a small diameter pipe for a regular snake. Anyone have
experience using pressure like this? . . . ,

I tried clearing a clog with pressure and all I did was fill the
bathroom sink with poop.
(it is virtually impossible to plug up the overflow/vent)

When I read this topic, I started wondering if I could do the same thing to
clear the line in my bathroom sink -- it drains very slowly; a chronic
problem. It's one of those with the old lead drain lines and it is a pain
to try to get the snake to make the whole trip to the end when it enters
into the cast iron sewer line. I have done that in the past and it does
work, but it is a pain.

But, like you, I think that if I used the pressure approach the issue of
trying to get the overflow plugged, plus the question of whether the
pressure would make the slip joints in the sink trap come apart, made me
hesitant to try it.

Then I thought, what if I took apart the sink trap, and I installed the
expandable pressure piece directly into the sink drain line, would that
work? I haven't tried it yet, but maybe that would be an option.