Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Lint Filter GE Washer GE WHRE5550K1WW

On 1/14/2016 10:53 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Can anyone suggest how to filter washer drainage to prevent lint from
plugging in the pipe? This is happening about once a year.

"None of the new machines have filters. The pump grinds up all the lint and
flushes it down the drain" - I still remember the salesman's exact words.

Our washer has a crude filter at the bottom of the unit (virtually
impossible to clean without draining water onto the floor). But, it
only is designed to catch "big stuff".

The previous machine pumped the water back into a filter in the middle of
the tub and never had any drainage problems. This one doesn't return to a
central place, so it's impossible to rig up a filter in the tub.

Also only one place to drain - standpipe in the wall. No sink nearby.

The cheap way is with old pair of pantyhose around the drain pipe.
But, this turns into a maintenance issue as they don't hold up very long.
OTOH, women frequently have a pair they are ready to dispose of...

Instead, consider the *source* of the lint.