Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/14/2016 9:49 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/14/2016 6:59 AM, Frank wrote:

I would avoid trying to download a free copy of somebody's swiped copy
of a
book normally for sale. Too much potential for a malicious virus.

Books shouldn't (implicitly) contain executables. So, the only potential
for an "infection" would be a buggy reader implementation. In much
the same way that *photos* don't (implicitly) contain code and any
exploits are the result of poor "viewer" implementations.

Contrast this with PDF's -- which *do* contain "code" (albeit postscript
and/or adobe script).

The "swiped copy" issue should be one of morality/legality. Would you
want someone stealing *your* work?

Nobody will say, I stole this. They just say, here's a free-be. In the
beginning I googled for "free ebooks" and could see where they wanted to
take me and said, no thanks.

BTW, working in industry, I did have some steal my stuff. They took
documents I created and replaced my name with theirs. I was annoyed but
the company was paying me.