Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/14/2016 9:50 AM, Susan Bugher wrote:
On 1/14/2016 10:35 AM, Don Y wrote:

SNIP

I'm not keen on yet another agency/entity tracking my "interests".

SNIP

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304870304577490950051438304
Your E-Book Is Reading You

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/10/06/adobe-spying-users-collecting-data-ebook-libraries

There are ways to avoid the spying.

You can never avoid the fact that you downloaded the book.
Nor can you control what any *app* reports back to "Mother".

One advantage of print libraries is you can take a book off a shelf,
walk to a comfortable chair in a corner and *read* it -- without
any record of this activity (including your *visit*!)

We're extremely wary of letting technology into our home *if*
it has a way of talking to the outside world -- by any means
(i.e., no Windows 10, here!).

If I want to listen to a song 300 times, it's none of your
business. I may *love* it. Or, may simply be out of the room
and the player is on endless "repeat".

Big Data can't tell anything from that one event. But, if they
can compile results from, say, 100M people and correlate that
with some *other* observations, they can draw some pretty
astute conclusions -- without understanding *why* there is a
correlation!

[Insert story of teen's dad outraged that Target was sending his
daughter coupons for discounts on baby products: "Maybe you
should ask your DAUGHTER if there's something she's not
telling you before you get irate!" : ]

In the 21st century, *people* will be the products that are marketed
to *vendors*. Expect your TV to tattle on your viewing preferences,
which commercials you sit through/channel surf/take bathroom breaks.
Expect your refrigerator to notice what you're eating -- and what
times of day!

[*I* can tell you when you pee/crap/shower/sleep/eat/recreate/etc]