Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extreme Sandbox

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 02:40:23 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

As I recall from what I've read in the past, the M60 through the early M1 tanks had a 105mm gun before the M1 was equipped with a 120mm gun. It's a smooth bore gun I think. As far as I know, there is no separate powder charge used in tank guns. Of course I'm no military expert but I like reading about and watching documentaries about tanks and other military vehicles. I remember something about civilian use of a 105mm howitzer to cause preventative avalanches and looked it up to find that The Alaska Railway uses the howitzer to trigger man made avalanches along the track. I wonder how the big guns wind up in civilian hands? There is a cool(no pun) YouTube video of the railroad workers firing the howitzer at a mountainside. There is also a website for the TV series that produced the video and other videos about Alaska. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m42jaXAgOO0

http://www.destinationamerica.com/tv...ilroad-alaska/

[8~{} Uncle Cannon Monster

With the right BATF license you can buy and even fire just about
anything.
It is just not easy to get the "destructive device" license.
I bet insurance is pretty expensive too.
Usually these are government contractors.