Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default bulb fittings ES or BC

"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
On Thursday, 14 January 2016 13:14:20 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Bull****, we do too. And aren't stupid enough to have a fuse in it, so
modern fully molded cables are vastly more reliable.

The fact that cables/plugs are fully moulded doesn't imply that the plug
is unfused, which is what you seem to be saying.
**All** plugs ... have a fuse

(Emphasis on "all" added by me..)

Nope. None of the plugs that plug into wall sockets at my home have a
fuse
in them.

I think you have missed the fact that Rod is in Australia - which doesn't
use fused plugs. That distinction was rather his point.

Apologies. I misunderstood. I thought since it was a UK group people were
talking about UK plugs unless they specifically said otherwise.

I find the thread disturbing because it seems that the UK adheres to safety
standards that the rest of the world doesn't use. I'd rather thought that
all 240V countries, certainly western Europe and Aus/NZ, had fused plugs,
ring mains, BC bulbs etc, and that it was only 120V countries (and maybe
third world 240V ones) which had lesser standards.

Maybe many people find it more acceptable that I do that a faulty appliance
can trip the whole house (or at least the whole power-socket circuit for one
floor) instead of causing the least interruption possible.

As a matter of interest, with radial wiring, is it usual to have one cable
with multiple sockets (maybe all those in the same room) off it, or to have
a separate cable back to the MCB board for each socket? In other words, is
it effectively a ring main per floor, but without the final cable that
completes the loop back to the MSB?

Do any countries use different sockets for light and heavy current
appliances, or do they use a single socket which will take either a 2-pin
non-earthed low current plug or a 3-pin earthed high-current plug?

I know that the US uses 120V (one phase and neutral) sockets for normal
appliances and then higher voltage sockets (two phases) for high-current
appliances like cookers and tumble driers, though I believe that the latter
are hard-wired rather than plug and socket.

I was surprised that the fitted oven in my house was plugged into a 3-pin
plug (*) rather than being hard wired as you'd usually get with a cooker.
The wiring was hidden and I only saw it when I had to remove the oven from
the kitchen units to mop up a leak from the washing machine nearby. Maybe
the oven uses less than 13A whereas an electric cooker with rings and grill
as well would use more that 13A and so have to be hard-wired.

(*) On a special circuit controlled by a wall-mounted double-pole switch.