Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default bulb fittings ES or BC

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
wrote:
People wrote:

[Snip]

We do not. We have one type of plug (shavers and mantel-clocks apart)
which must be used for all plug-in domestic purposes, and we generally
have too few wall-sockets. The 13A plug is too big for all ordinary
purposes except for heaters and domestic appliances.

Yes. We ought to have a 2 pin version of it for moulded plugs only. Then
you can fit 2 or 3 where one 3 pin goes now. And full compatibility is
retained.

Since most of our sockets are shuttered, requiring an earth pin to open the
shutter, how is this going to work?

[Snip]

We should also have a smaller and even more plentiful type of socket,
different from any in current use for any different purpose, supplying
say 12V 1A (AC xor DC), for small electronic equipment.

That should be done by way of a pan-European Standard.

But it will not happen in our time.

Actually it is. USB is now shifting from 5v only to 5-24v at at least 2A.

Oh dear, another botched standard. Put your 5v phone charging lead into
24v socket and bang goes the phone

It's negotiated between the host and the device.

AIUI, the device can request higher voltage or current, presumably it
defaults to 5V.

--
Chris French