Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bulb fittings ES or BC

On 13/01/16 16:02, wrote:
NY wrote:
"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
Are US and European plugs capable of having a fuse fitted in them
No

or do
their appliances always blow the circuit (eg downstairs ring main)
What ring main? Everything is wired as (chained) radials. But yes,
the only fuse is in the consumer unit.

Are ring mains mainly a UK innovation, then? I hadn't realised that.

Yes, I believe it was basically a copper saving idea in the post 2nd
war years.

Personally I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, I always
install 20 amp MCB radial circuits in preference to ring circuits.

I claim the opposite view - particularly in kitchens, having it not
matter too much how you plug those 3-4 high power appliances in makes
having a 32A circuit quite sensible.