Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default bulb fittings ES or BC

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Going back to that type of plug in the UK would be a retrograde step -
and how. We are fairly unique in having only the one plug which covers
pretty well all domestic requirements. We used to have multiple standards
of plugs. Thank gawd those days have gone.

Agreed. However there is market pressure for 'one global SKU'.

There are plenty of ways around that:
Equipping the item with an IEC socket and then supplying the appropriate
cable as a extra
Equipping the item with a micro USB socket and not shipping any kind of
charger
Equipping the item with a wall wart with removable face plates
Equipping the item with a US/Euro plug and adding a clamp-on adaptor
Shipping a 'travel adaptor' (I think this is forbidden in the UK,
but may be allowed elsewhere)

I suggest that, if ES in table lamps isn't prohibited by code, globalised
supply will mean it'll become the de-facto standard. That is, if they don't
go all LED and abandon removable fittings altogether.

Theo