Posted to uk.d-i-y
ChrisK ChrisK is offline

Default bulb fittings ES or BC

Martin Brown wrote:
On 13/01/2016 09:16, sm_jamieson wrote:
In the light of the thread about the LAP 60W equiv LED bulbs at Screwfix,
all the BC versions were sold out so I got some ES versions. Then I

realised
the adapters I got off ebay are all the other way round. But it got

me thinking
- should I change my pendants to ES fittings ? The adapters are

smaller that way round,
since the BC connector nestles inside the ES screw.
The big question. Are ES bulbs becoming more common than BC ? Any
reason not to change my fittings ?
Simon.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to buy the right thing in the first place?

ES has become slightly more common in the UK as European chains like
Ikea and Olson tend to stock kit that is Edison screw. I have a mixture
of ES and BC in both sizes having lived overseas at various times.

I generally benefit from the unpopularity of ES as they are often
remaindered half price in Aldi/Lidl and work perfectly well enough. They
don't seem to have spotted that UK is mostly BC.

I see no merit making work changing light fittings for the sake of it.

Also the normal lampshades will not fit as the ES outer diameter (+
insulation?) is greater. There don't seem to be easy ES equivalents for
the normal British pendant lampholder, it is better suited to purpose
designed light fitting/lamps where the different dimensions are designed in.

Seems to me ES is OK in enclosed fittings, particularly where the lamp
is base down but is a PITA for normal pendant fittings.

Chris K