Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Three phase wiring question

On 2016-01-13, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 8:28:47 PM UTC-5, DoN. Nichols wrote:

I did not know where to buy one, but I was able to find out how
to *make* one using neon lamps, resistors and capacitors, IIRC.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I was curious and searched the internet.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/g...se/3phase.html

You could use two 120 volt lamps in series for each 240 volt lamp. So
home free if you have a suitable capacitor.

Yes -- that is one version. I do see potential problems in
it, however:

You'll need 2 incandescent bulbs with a rated voltage equal to the line
voltage,

[ ... ]

Measure the ohmic resistance R of the bulbs. The condition to fulfill is
that the three reactances must be equal, so the reactive capacitance
should be:

The problem is that incandescent lamps have a resistance which
is quite low when cold (the condition under which you are measuring it),
and quite a bit higher when hot. (Easily an order of magnitude change
from cold to fully lit.)

But -- it may get you close enough for the thing to work.

The thing that amazes me is that the makers of the power supply
did not build in a simple phase sequence circuit to keep you from
switching it on if the phase is reversed. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail