Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Three phase wiring question

On 2016-01-12, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 09:57:33 -0800 (PST)
rangerssuck wrote:

snip
How do "real" electricians identify the phase connections when they can't count on the wire colors?

I was only an "apprentice" but 30 years ago we just hooked up the
equipment and noted the direction. Once we had a really expensive
plastic injection machine. That was a bit nerve wracking. We had one
of us watch a motor and the other give it a quick bump on/off. We had it
wrong of course, switched the wires around, it worked okay yet...

That works for that. We had a big DC power supply 50 VDC at
*lots* of current which was fed from three phase, and the manual warned
that connecting it backwards would instantly destroy the warranty (and
the device).

Nowadays you can buy rotation testers for not so much. I would just buy
one if I was still working with that kind of stuff. For instance:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...3+phase+tester

I did not know where to buy one, but I was able to find out how
to *make* one using neon lamps, resistors and capacitors, IIRC.

The power supply survived. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--