Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Small engine troubleshooting

"Oren" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 12:04:14 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

A friend is having trouble with a small (5-7HP) engine.
Not starting. Aside from checking for spark (after
ensuring no "old" fuel present), I can't think of any
easy tests that he can perform...?

Is there a gas shut off that was not turned on?

Is there a switch that was not flipped to the run position?

Silly, but folks overlook the simple things, first.

Does the engine fire and try to run - acts like it wants to?

I ran into both of those on 2 seperate samll engines.

On one the gas shut off was backwards from what I am used to seeing , when
cross ways to the line it was on instead of off. Took about 20 minuits to
find that as I kept turning it off and on and the tiller it was on would run
for about 30 to 60 seconds.

The other was a 5 KW generator. It had an on/off switch that was not
mentioned in the manual. As it was dark the first time I tried to start it,
I missed it and about an hour later the power came back on. Found it the
next day in the sun light.