Andy Hall

Default Decent cable/stud detector?

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:56:02 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:

Hello, I have a cable detector from B&Q (Draper??) and it's pathetic! (very
vague as to where stud or cable is, especially if metal object nearby).
Looking to buy a decent one, say from RS, preferably with a row of LEDs to
help locate cable etc. What can the group recommend?

Regards,

Alan.

You're right - the cheap ones are junk.

I bought a Zircon Triscanner Pro in Home Depot in the U.S. for about
$25. RS have them as 389-4050

I would recommend it. I believe it uses various forms of digital
signal processing to do the scanning. It works very well at finding
stud edges etc. The important thing is after placing it on the
surface, give it a few seconds before moving, then you get good
results.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl