Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Here we go again, toilet flange dilemma

In ,
noname typed:
House was built in 2005 and it seems the flooring people (or the
plumbers) put the flanges on TOP of the flooring (tile and wood).
First one I ended up having a plumber cut away the wood flooring and
reinstall the flange so it was flush with the flooring. Seals
perfectly with normal wax ring, never had a problem again.

Now another toilet looked like the wax ring gave way. I pulled up
the toilet some leakage on the tile floor and of course the flange
was installed on TOP of the tile ! ! For fun I tried the no-seep
#10 wax ring, and trying to press it down I can see the bottom of the
toilet is contacting the flange and the toilet itself barely hits the
floor. I am worried I'd get a rockering effect and the ring would
give away over time. So I pulled it up and sure enough the wax ring
and the black seal part had separated.

So my first question (since I noticed the old ring had a ton of wax
and there didn't seem to be a black seal part on it), is there some
other wax ring that might have worked? Heck it lasted for 10 years.

Or should I just suck it up and pay the plumber to lower the flange?
This one is more nasty because it is on the second floor and they
will have to open up the dinning room ceiling.

Pictures he

http://ibin.co/2T0f8UyUyDO8
http://ibin.co/2T0fPfddarOu
http://ibin.co/2T0fc9wHgOWj