Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default electrical troubleshooting

Tony Hwang wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/11/2016 10:49 AM, badgolferman wrote:
My house has an outside light over the garage door which doesn't
work. My goal is to replace it with an automatic flood light.
There is a light switch plate inside the garage on the same wall
that has two switches, one for the lights inside the garage and
one presumably for the outside one.

I have taken the light fixture off and checked the wires but
don't see any voltage there no matter what position the switch is
in. My next step is to take the switch plate apart and check for
voltage there. Would I be right to assume both switches should
be on the same circuit? What other troubleshooting tips do you
have?

You have the right idea to follow it back till you
find power, then work forward.

Might be same or different circuits. The "voltage
detector" gadgets can be helpful.

Also check the fuses. Or breakers.

First question, Was that outside light working? Or just quit working?
Inside light works? Using DVM or an old analog meter like Simpson
260? Have any test light?

I think it worked at one time. Can't remember for sure.

One inside switch is a three-way switch for my inside garage lights and
it's seldom used because it's on the garage door side. The other one
on the wall plate is for the outside light above the garage door that
isn't working now.