Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Seeking Opinon on EPROM Problems

whit3rd wrote:
I wouldn't waste time erasing/reburning old parts (are they UV EPROMs, or flash, or EEPROM?), I'd just
program a flash replacement. The parts are cheap enough, and 'the better part of a day' is not.

The 27 series EPROMs are about $1 each from Chinese vendors on eBay. These
are used, erased and "tested". New ones in small quantities (yes, they are
still made) are around $40 each.

In my case, the $1 ones are worth the gamble, but I am not getting paid
for my time and effort, and if they fail, I can just pop one out and put
in a new one.

If I were getting paid for my time, or selling a product, you can be sure
I would buy new ones.

Geoff.