Posted to alt.home.repair
E. Robinson E. Robinson is offline

Default Are you supposed to put a meat thermometer in the oven?

I am learning how to make pork chops, which, on the net,
are said to be best brined overnight and then pulled out
of the 400°F oven at the moment the insides hit 135°F.

Fine.

But how do you figure out when the insides hit 135°F?
My meat thermometer is a $15 yellow plastic digital one
with a stainless steel 5 inch probe from Bed Bath &
Beyond.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...ermometer.html

Am I supposed to leave it in the oven?
Or poke the meat while it's in the oven?
Or pull the meat out to poke on the countertop?

If I leave it in the oven, won't the plastic melt?
If I poke the meat while in the oven, I burn myself (because it's too LONG!).
If I pull the meat out, it works, but it wastes heat & effort.

There doesn't seem to be a good solution.
So, that's why I ask you what you recommend if I stick with this stupid thermometer.

If I buy a NEW thermometer, what do you recommend?
(But I'd rather not have two tools that do the exact same thing!)