Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Kaz Kylheku Kaz Kylheku is offline

Default Senco Model PP2 Meter

On 2016-01-11, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
"Peak-to-Peak" meter.
For what are (were) they used? Got it for free.
Is it simply so I don't have to multiply by 1.414?
Be gentle. I'm new at all this and trying to learn.
Ivan Vegvary

To be useful, the p-2-p meter should sample and hold the top and bottom
values, and not simply measure RMS and multiply. If we measure p-2-p
with a scope we get a stable trace, and then actually find the highest
and lowest voltages.

Note that the 1.414 factor between RMS and peak voltage only applies to
a sinusoidal signal!

It is incorrect for other signal shapes.

For instance, a square wave's RMS is the same as peak.

(Peak-to-peak is twice peak, so the factors double: p-2-p/RMS is 2.828 for
sinusoidal, 2 for square.)