Sparks

Default Earthing

"Sparks" wrote
| The bloke that came to reconnect me, suggested a PME earth
| Is that the one connected to the neutral?
| If so, how do I go about it!

Phone the electricity co and ask to be converted to PME. You must not do
this work yourself. Legally, it is the elec co's cable. Technically, they
must confirm that their neutral is continuous back to the substation and
suitable for PME use. Commonsensically, it involves opening up the incomer
and exposing the incoming cable before the service fuse.

Okay, I did think this would be the case here
I was wondering if i could use the neutral after the meter, so to avoid
having to call them out, but i see it needs confirmation from them, so
better leave it to them!

Do you think they charge for this?

| My generator is PME, as the neutral is bonded to the earth.

That does not in itself make it a Protective *Multiple* Earth. It simply
means that your generator output is not floating with regards to earth.

You mention a generator transfer switch - you cannot and must not rely on
PME earthing during a power failure, so you must have suitable earthing

for
generator use.

That would explain the manual telling me to install a rod (which I have)

Will it be ok to have the earth connected to both the neutral (Mains) and a
rod (Generator) at the same time?

Sparks...