Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement Windows: Step #7

Oren wrote: "Did you neglect to follow Step #7 ? "

Me? NEVER.

Our installers 23 years ago did, and the house
was drafty and cold, plus a sash fell out of its
track when my Mom went to windex it! On some
of the windows, the frame flexed visibly, and the
gaps were over 1/8". I was 23, and discovered
the jamb adjusters by accident. Those Mercury
Excelums had adjusters in both inner and outer
sash rails. Turning the screws clockwise caused
the jambs to bow inward - toward the middle of the
window. Easy as pie!

My issue is most online videos aren't detailed
enough to include jamb adjustment. And many
caprenters/installers have told me that if the
windows were ordered the correct size, you
don't need to touch them anyway. I
respectfully disagreed with them, and we
went about our separate ways.

But I do know not to over torque them, so
that the sash cannot be tilted back up into
their rails, or are impossible to open & shut.
LOL It's because I learned of these adjustments
years ago the house still has the same windows,
in perfect working condition.