Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Here we go again, toilet flange dilemma

On 1/10/2016 2:45 PM, noname wrote:
House was built in 2005 and it seems the flooring people (or the plumbers) put the flanges on TOP of the flooring (tile and wood). First one I ended up having a plumber cut away the wood flooring and reinstall the flange so it was flush with the flooring. Seals perfectly with normal wax ring, never had a problem again.

Now another toilet looked like the wax ring gave way. I pulled up the toilet some leakage on the tile floor and of course the flange was installed on TOP of the tile ! ! For fun I tried the no-seep #10 wax ring, and trying to press it down I can see the bottom of the toilet is contacting the flange and the toilet itself barely hits the floor. I am worried I'd get a rockering effect and the ring would give away over time. So I pulled it up and sure enough the wax ring and the black seal part had separated.

So my first question (since I noticed the old ring had a ton of wax and there didn't seem to be a black seal part on it), is there some other wax ring that might have worked? Heck it lasted for 10 years.

Or should I just suck it up and pay the plumber to lower the flange? This one is more nasty because it is on the second floor and they will have to open up the dinning room ceiling.

Pictures he

http://ibin.co/2T0f8UyUyDO8
http://ibin.co/2T0fPfddarOu
http://ibin.co/2T0fc9wHgOWj

Thanks.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but the existing setup worked for 10
years. What did they do 10 years ago that you cannot do now? If you
can duplicate it you will save a lot of money.

Does it sit solid with no seal? If so, can you buy a thinner one or
shave a wax seal?