Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Thunder that kills modems

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 8:32:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 20:26:25 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/9/2016 7:42 PM, wrote:
I'm in the country, and at the end of the power and phone lines. I have
everything well grounded. I only have dialup via buried copper wire. I
now know that there is no solution except unplugging the phone line.
Those modems just cant handle the surges. I have never had a phone or
answering machine ruined.

My biggest problem is remembering to unplug it. Sometimes I forget and
am not home when a storm hits.... However I have been pretty good at
unplugging it these days, automatically whenever I shut off the
computer.

In my opinion, those surge protectors are worthless for lightning.

In today's post modem society, replacements
must be inexpensive. I have at least one
modem on the shelf I can't stand to throw
away. Though I doubt i'll need it again.

Surge protectors are not very usefull for a direct lightning strike,
but they will protect quite effectively against induced surges from
near misses (or even long distance misses) which used to kill modems
regularly. Later modems were a LOT more resistant to those induced
spikes.

Unrelated technology changes or spike specific design improvement?

Thunder has nothing to do killing modem. Lightning is. Analog vs.
digital? Post modem? What does that mean? Talking about early acoustic
modem at like 300 baud? If you get direct hit, pretty well every thing
is toast.