Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Thunder that kills modems

On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 8:32:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 20:26:25 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/9/2016 7:42 PM, wrote:
I'm in the country, and at the end of the power and phone lines. I have
everything well grounded. I only have dialup via buried copper wire. I
now know that there is no solution except unplugging the phone line.
Those modems just cant handle the surges. I have never had a phone or
answering machine ruined.

My biggest problem is remembering to unplug it. Sometimes I forget and
am not home when a storm hits.... However I have been pretty good at
unplugging it these days, automatically whenever I shut off the
computer.

In my opinion, those surge protectors are worthless for lightning.

In today's post modem society, replacements
must be inexpensive. I have at least one
modem on the shelf I can't stand to throw
away. Though I doubt i'll need it again.

Surge protectors are not very usefull for a direct lightning strike,
but they will protect quite effectively against induced surges from
near misses (or even long distance misses) which used to kill modems
regularly. Later modems were a LOT more resistant to those induced
spikes.

Unrelated technology changes or spike specific design improvement?