Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thunder

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 18:45:16 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 1/9/16 4:57 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Yeah but thunder and lightning are usually accompanied by rain which
makes for wet cables...which conduct electricity.

But aren't dry cables supposed to conduct electricity?

I was responding to Mr Cresswell who said he believed he had fiber optic
cables and didn't think they conducted electricity. My point was that
during a rainstorm when the rubber or plastic covered cable was covered
with water, it was a conductor.

There still should not be a path to your equipment but most surges are
really induced transients anyway so that is not an issue.

If you start with a good grounding system and ground all of your surge
protection (on every wire that comes into the house) to a single point
in that grounding system, you eliminate virtually all of the surges.
Some point of use protection that combines protection of all
conductors at the equipment will do the rest.
It gets more complicated if you are dealing with a big campus and a
number of interconnected buildings but the concepts are the same.