Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing Toilet Cistern Innards

On 09/01/2016 16:43, David Lang wrote:
On 09/01/2016 16:23, Roger Mills wrote:

The new fill valve is adjustable for height. It has a "critical level"
indicator and the blurb says that this must be at least 1" above the
overflow level. But if I do that, the top of the fill valve is too high
to fit the lid! What am I supposed to do? I could potentially cut a bit
off the overflow pipe - or adjust the new valve's overflow to a lower
level so as to discharge into the pan rather than outside. But the
overflow level would then be dangerously near to the normal fill level -
so it could only over-fill by a tiny amount before overflowing.

So, what's this "critical level" business all about, and what are the
likely consequences of disregarding it?

No idea I'm afraid.

Thanks for your comments. Are there any rules of thumb on what the
minimum vertical distance should be between the normal fill level and
the overflow level?

Mine is currently about 28mm, and this "critical level" mark is also
28mm above the water - making it *level* with the overflow rather than
one inch above it, as specified. If I reduce the overflow level to meet
this requirement, it will be only about 3mm above the normal fill level
- which sounds far too little to me. [I suppose I could lower the fill
level, but this may impact the flush performance.]
--
Cheers,
Roger