Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default life of a tree revealed in the rings

On 01/09/2016 7:17 AM, Bill wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 01/08/2016 1:49 PM, dpb wrote:
On 01/08/2016 10:56 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 14:43:01 -0600
wrote:

But, the possibility of a time span of "decades" between growth rings
of any of the common trees we in rec.woodworking would even know
existed and growing in NA or any similar temperate climate is
essentially zero.

would not consider sequoia to be common
it is the only hexaploid tree
it is the tallest tree

much prefer the dendrochronologist analysis over yours or
rec.woodworking

Again, show me any reference that refutes the above.

Or, more specifically, even a single paper that supports the claim of
"decades" (I'd even take several years) between growth rings of any
tree in any temperate climate.

--

From what I understand (probably from reading Hasluck's thick
compilation), even a single growth ring has a spring part and a winter

The dispute here is that I don't believe the claim that a single growth
ring can take "decades" to form is based on anything but I'd be most
interested to see how that could be if it were indeed, really so.

As noted in all recent literature, the term "annual rings" is considered
to be less than accurate owing to its reliance on temperate zone with
regular seasons to be so; the tropics of course being the extreme the
other direction. I was simply noting that owing to aberrations in
normal weather it's possible for there to be the occasional extra or
even a missed growth cycle in a given year even in normally very regular
seasonal areas and one could postulate severe climatic events that could
cause, perhaps, even more than a single year duration of such albeit
more and more unlikely as the time frame expands. To think there would
be such that lasted for a ten year span is simply expecting too much; or
if so, as noted above I'd surely like to see the specimen in which it
was found.