Posted to alt.home.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default Thunder

Per Wade Garrett:
Guess your cable provider uses those new lightning-proof lines rather
than the conventional lightning-magnet wires the phone company favors;-)

I don't know for sure, but I *think* my cable provider (Verizon FIOS)
uses fiber optic lines.... which, AFIK, do not conduct electricity and
are therefore immune to lightning strikes.

So I don't do anything - unless it's one of those really-violent
thunderstorms and then I'll pull a few plugs until it passes.

Rightly or wrongly, my main concern is a strike to one of my TV antennas
propagating through the connected tuners into my LAN and/or taking out
my TV.
--
Pete Cresswell