Posted to alt.home.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default Call blockers

Per ItsJoanNotJoann:
I'm sure Nomorobo is fabulous but your local phone company
has to offer/subscribe to it for a person to use it. My
phone company does not, thus the Pro Call Blocker.

If you have a broadband Internet connection you are not limited to your
phone company.

You can install a little black box between the phone line and your
Internet connection and subscribe to a Voice Over Internet Protocol
service.

That's what I do for my outgoing non-800, non-911 calls.

Incoming are still via the phone company, so my phone number is
registered with them.

One gotcha is that you have to set up the box. Not rocket
science, but it does take some reading of instructions and time.

My little black box is a LinkSys SPA3102.

My VOIP provider is CallCentric.com.

Anybody wants my setup parms for the box, let me know and I will post
them.

Both have been working for about five years with only the occasional (as
in 2x per year) need to unplug the box and then plug it back in again.

Only reason I have kept the phone company account are doubts about 911
service under a VOIP provider and the chance, however small, of
something going wrong with porting my phone number from the phone
company to the VOIP provider..... And I suspect my doubts are misplaced.
--
Pete Cresswell