Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Gasoline prices have come down, but not motor oil prices.

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 10:48:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 13:29:27 -0800, sms
wrote:

A quart of name brand 5W30 is still about $2.25, and has not come down
as crude prices have fallen. I realize that crude is just a small part
of the cost of producing motor oil, but apparently it does not respond
to decreases in crude prices at all.

Soon I will have to do some 0W-20 oil changes and that costs about $6
per quart.

Most of that is just the hype that comes up around name brands.
Yamalube is more like $8 a quart and you can get SN grade oil at the
Rural King for $1.29.
They make it sound like oil related failures even bump the needle on
why someone gets rid of a car or an outboard.
If you change it now and then and don't run out, Any API oil is as
good as the next for all practical purposes.

I was at the BMW dealer this week. Guy was buying BMW oil at the parts
counter, $9.50 a quart. Mobil 1 at Costco, ~$5 works for me.