Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Is this the "Living Room" or the "Death Room" ?

On 1/7/2016 4:40 PM, Art Todesco wrote:
On 1/7/2016 4:02 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
posted for all of us...

[snip]

A ?family room? is an informal, all-purpose room in a house similar to a
living room. The family room is designed to be a place where family and
guests gather for group recreation like talking, reading, watching TV,
and other family activities.

Dats nize You finally learn how to DAGS ? Won't miss you...

Funny thing, back in the 50s in the Chicago suburbs, I remember it being
called parlor in my house. But, a lot of the kids in the neighborhood
called it the front room, or as they pronounced it, "fron troom". My
wife also remembers that too. Don't know if it is a Chi thing.

Interesting. I suspect that those terms may also be affected by the
ethnicity of the neighborhood.

Think about the "traditional" Chicago style brick bungalow. Early 50's
found me living in our first house vicinity of Bryn Mawr and Milwaukee
Av. The living room/front room/parlor was the first room you came into.
They sometimes had a foyer little bigger than a closet and then you
were in the "front room."

At the same time, grandparents place on the north side, a two story
frame house, vicinity of Montrose & Elston was pretty much the same
setup and they also called it the front room, followed by the dining
room. They were of German and Czech descent and never used the term parlor.

My grand aunts and an uncle owned a two flat which had been converted
into one large single family residence in Rogers Park. Of Irish
descent, that room was the "parlor" Never heard it called anything else
while in their presence. Then, too, a couple blocks down on Devon was
Maloney's Funeral PARLOR. Back in the day, the Irish often held their
wakes in the decedent's parlor at the home. (Probably because the booze
was cheaper thereg) Coincidence with the naming? Or not.

Moved to a newly built brick ranch home in 1953 just off the North Shore
in far north Cook County and suddenly we had a living room. Go figure.

Ever since then we've had a living roomg