Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke Mike Clarke is offline

Default Triple spotlight: bulbs blowing in one of the fittings

On 05/01/2016 16:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Back in the pre 1960's you could certainly buy a variety of lamps with
voltages 210, 220, 230 and 240v. Checking the voltage required was as
important as checking the wattage of the lamp required - FACT.

As a child in Huddersfield in the 50's I remember that it was important
to say what district you lived in when buying a lamp bulb because there
were different voltages in different areas of the town. Eventually it
was standardised and I remember men coming round from the electricity
board replacing lamp bulbs and the elements in cookers, electric fires
and irons. I think they also changed the motor in my Mum's vac.

--
Mike Clarke