BigWallop

Default using a shower unit to heat a swimming pool

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Wanderer" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:42:09 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

snip

Another alternative is to stick a 3kW immersion heater in some

suitable
chamber and pump the water through. An immersion is dirt cheap and

I'm
sure
you can find some suitable "cylinder" to immerse it in, provided

suitable
safety precautions are taken. (I might consider a vent pipe straight

up
to a
metre or two above the pool level from the top of the chamber, for

example).

Hmm, pool heaters are essentially un-vented flow boilers (albeit with

an
excess pressure safety valve). It's the passage of water through the

boiler
that keeps it operating safely. They *must* be wired so that they only

work
when the filter pump is on. I think you'd need to get some sort of

cylinder
that was little bigger than the bore of the (usual) inch and half

diameter
pipework.

How about a combination:

PUMP
____
=========/ \==================================

=========\____/= ==================== =========
|| ||________||
| _________|

|| ___||___
|| | |
|| | |
|| | |
|| | |
|| | |
|| | ~~~~|
||______| |
| _______________|

Flow restrictor/isolator (valve)

~~~~ Immersion heater
with thermostat
in vented tank

The thermostat would prevent boiling in the normal way if
the pump failed.

The first flow restrictor could be set so the pressure in the tank

during
pump operation was not sufficient to blow water out the vent.

The whole heater section is an "add-on" that can be isolated for repair.

Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Or how about a submersible heater like they put in fish tanks only on a
bigger scale.

But I really think this is the type of thing you should be looking to fit if
you're thinking of using your pool over winter.

http://www.exheat.com/prod.php?id=83

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com