Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default life of a tree revealed in the rings

On 1/6/2016 12:57 AM, OFWW wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 22:24:41 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/5/2016 8:15 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 18:17:20 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/5/2016 6:15 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 09:00:09 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

interesting shot showing the fires during the life of the tree

http://media.eurekalert.org/multimed.../20963_web.jpg

Did you know that tree rings do not show years, but show rainy
seasons?

I always understood rings represent years, size of rings represent the
climate for that year. Do you have a reference by any chance?

I'll have to look for it, The reason it stuck in my mind was that
those people looking for the ark could tell by lumber with the lack of
rings in it. Which some people would discount, but also a friend of
mine who was studying ice "rings" or layers that geologists used for
the age of ice discovered that it actually bore record of rain or
snowfall, which is why some rings were close and some wider in
patterns. I'll look it up tonight.

;~) Well the Arc, is a super natural object and all that goes with
that... ;~) But I would be interested in what you find.

As the story goes, before the flood there was no rain. No rainy
season, no rings, or very few?

Anyhow, here are a few page links, and basically the growth, or rainy
season and the end of it determines the rings. So in area's that have
a regular rainy season you will get a growth ring. In a severe drought
it can be difficult to tell if there is a growth ring or not. I have
included the areas of tropical forests to show that there can be
multiple growth rings per year, and that basically a tree is a tree is
a tree.

Here in the west I can remember seeing large trees with growth ring
anomalies shown in the local museums of national parks where
uncertainty prevailed in the reading of rings due to weather patterns.

Bottom line? Tree's don't have birthday's.

And yet they are called "Annual" Growth rings. That still sounds like a
new ring each year.

And from your link,

Each year, the tree forms new cells, arranged in concentric circles
called annual rings or annual growth rings. These annual rings show the
amount of wood produced during one growing season.

https://www.theforestacademy.com/tre.../#.VoyxRI9FyUk