The Natural Philosopher

Default Damp wall

JK wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:

The dampness is always in the first 18" above the skirting board.
The wall does not have a cavity and it's always cold. I suspect the
dampness in condensation rather than rising/penetrating,

Why do you think this?

It's the coldest surface in teh room, and I didn't think penetratin damp
would accumulate enough to run down and collect, whereas I know condensation
does that.

Yes, but it may be cold because its damp already

It could very well be a failed/missing/bridged damp proof course.

Indeed the concrete outside is at a slightly higher level than the floor
inside, however the damp inside does not seem to coincide with the damp
inside,

Run that past me again?

ie it can be dry inside when rainy and wet inside when fine out.
Also the wall along which the damp is present is quite sheltered from the
rain, which doesn't collect.

Mmm.

This is easily remedied with a chemical injection. The expensive part
is replacing all the plaster.

Can the injection not be done from the outside?

Yes, but the plaster is generally rotten and in need of redoing, also in
your case it probably needs to be done below soil level.

If it really is condensation, this can be fixed by additional
insulation and ensuring adequete ventilation.

I just want to make sure I know where it comes from before I take measures.
Any tips?

Its very hard to be sure. BUT you could try e.g. contact glung a load of
kitchen foil over teh wall. If it still gets sopping wet on teh inside
face, its at least partially condensation (which I suspect is some part
of the problem) but if that reduces the puddles, its likley to be coming
from behind the foil, and you may actually see the damp patch grow higer
as teh water sekks somewhere else to ooze out.

You may even have a leaking pipe nearby.

Thanks

John