Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Triple spotlight: bulbs blowing in one of the fittings

formulated the question :
On Monday, 4 January 2016 22:07:12 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr expressed precisely :
On Friday, 1 January 2016 17:30:52 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bert Coules expressed precisely :

All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems
unlikely, is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole
batch of them? Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

Numerous places mistakenly sell lamps intended for 230v, whereas what
is needed for the UK is 240v lamps, which means they just don't last
very long.

230v filament lamps don't even exist. Harry as always!

You are of course very wrong. Any lamps intended for most of Europe are
manufactured as 230v. At one time in the UK you could buy 210, 220, 230
and 240v lamps. The reason being the variation in local distribution
voltages and filament lamps sensitivity to voltage.

Come back when you know your subject

NT

I do know my subject, but it is obviously a waste of time attempting to
explain that subject further to you.

I always check the voltage markings on lamps I purchase, to ensure they
are 240v intended for the UK market, because I often see 230v ones
intended for the EU on sale in the UK - FACT. Yes, I have been caught
out a few times. These last no time at all and are not worth the effort
of installing them.

Back in the pre 1960's you could certainly buy a variety of lamps with
voltages 210, 220, 230 and 240v. Checking the voltage required was as
important as checking the wattage of the lamp required - FACT.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)