Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Silver bullets

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 21:49:24 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 18:55:45 -0500, Tom Gardner wrote:

On 1/2/2016 3:32 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
This may not be what you're referring to, but steel roller bearings
used in gas turbines often are silver-plated. The purpose it twofold:
it makes a superior bearing surface in normal operation (why, I don't
know), and it offers some protection in case the oil supply is
temporarily blocked. Like cast iron or babbitt, it provides some
lubrication even when run dry.

I think Silver makes a GREAT material for bullets, I've made some for
people but never got any feedback on performance or what they did to the
barrel.

Think "silver solder" fouling.

And what cleans the bore of this? There is Hoppes Elite for carbon
fouling, ammonia (or ammonia-free KG12) for copper, but what's used
for silver? When I use silver cleaner on silverplate, I smell
something like ammonia.

--

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
--Oscar Wilde