Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_6_] John B.[_6_] is offline

Default Birmingham DLC-16120 lathe quality

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 20:52:19 -0600, Ignoramus18273

On 2016-01-02, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 14:00:37 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 11:25:52 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 12:20:24 -0600, Ignoramus18273
wrote:

Gunner, being long, does not make the lathe bad, it just makes it
capable of things that may be rarely necessary. What could be "bad" is
low quality, or lack of features.

I kept saying it was good. Just a ****load bigger than you are ever
going to need and its going to be a huge drain on your floor space.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Yabbut, he has an entire warehouse to work with, not just a shop space
like most of us.

If he does..why bother selling the Monarch? Keep em both. His guy
loves the Monarch for his day to day stuff...so let him keep using it.
When something big comes along..use the big girl.

Not enough room for two, for sure. Plus, the Birmingham lathe can do
everything that the Monarch can.

It is noticeable though that given a choice of machines most
machinists will select the smallest machine that will do the job :-)
Cranking the carriage around on a 16" lathe is more work then on a,
say 8 inch.

There was a similar lathe in a shipyard where I worked in N. Sumatra.
I don't know who bought it but it, but it was a similar size, maybe a
little bigger, and looking at the dust, dirt and dried oil on the ways
it was obvious that the carriage hadn't been down to the tail stock
end since it was installed.
--
cheers,

John B.