Posted to alt.home.repair
>>>Ashton Crusher >>>Ashton Crusher is offline

Default Metalized paint

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 02:14:41 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/30/2015 6:24 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
This stuff...

http://emfsafetystore.com/#paints

Looks to be about $300+ a gallon!!! Needs to be grounded.

Yes, it's expensive. The market is small, there are few "players"
and the folks who want/need it *need* it -- which tends to make
it a seller's market.

But, it's a relatively minor cost. Let's assume I'd need *100*
gallons (not!) for the job -- $30K of paint. OTOH, if it saves
me the time and expense of developing an alternative, "non RF"
technology, I'll have "saved" the expense of that effort, the
time required for it *and* the "lost opportunities" that the
effort incurred: $250K? $500K $1M??

You, no doubt, own a car. Why? Surely you can WALK to any place
that your car can transport you! How many pairs of shoes can you
buy for the $20/30/40/50+K you'll spend on the vehicle? Plus the
gas, maintenance, insurance, etc. Isn't that car an EXTRAVAGANCE?
Why not hail a cab if you don't feel like walking?

Ah, but *having* it affords you other opportunities that you
might not have, without it! E.g., you can now work farther
from home -- giving you greater choice in where you live (or
work)! You can shop at places other than those within
walking distance -- and can purchase more than two armfuls
of goods! Etc.

Do you use an expensive phone (plus phone plan) instead of
snail mail? Aren't you just paying a lot of money to save
some *time*?

Do you go out for meals instead of making them yourself?
You *know* you aren't saving any *time* -- as it takes
"them" just as long to prepare the food as it would "you"
and you still have to transport yourself to/fro as well
as *wait* to be waited on, served, pay, etc.

[I always chuckle when I see someone order a $10 bowl
of spaghetti!]

Developing a product/device brings these sorts of time/cost
tradeoffs to the forefront. Save money? Or, save time??

Will you also paint the ceiling and put something over all the
windows?

We already have window treatments that could be adapted.
And, losses through unshielded openings (windows, doors)
are much less than those through omnidirectional radiation.
I.e., a transmitter has to be aligned with the opening
and the receiver -- as well as having sufficient power
to bridge the distance between.

Ceiling is a low risk as there's nothing looking down on us
(within a few sight-miles). If it became an issue, laying
wire mesh *on* the roof would be an effective and more
economical solution -- with practically zero cosmetic
implications (you can't *see* the roof unless you're
flying overhead).

Are you worried bout your neighbors spying or are you worried someo9ne
it literally going to come into your neighborhood and specifically
target you to spy on? Is there something specific you fear someone
will find out or is this a generalized fear of being spied on?