Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Dial caliper (digital)

On 2016-01-01, Don Y wrote:
Recommendations for a "quality" digital dial caliper?

There are 3 basic types of direct-read calipers. Vernier, dial, and
digital. Vernier calipers use a vernier scale and have NO dial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernie...er_scale_works

Digital calipers use an electronic digital readout and require
batteries. It also has NO dial. A dial caliper is completely
mechanical (NO battery), like the vernier, and the measurement is
converted, mechanically, to a dial with a rotating needle to indicate
measurements.

The only folks still making professional quality dial calipers are
Starrett, Mititoyo, and Brown & Sharp. None are cheap. My best dial
caliper is an old B&S. I was not aware they were still being made,
but:

http://www.msi-viking.com/Dial-Calipers_c_10.html

.....you might also look for Scherr-Tumico brand. Not sure they still
exist.

Vernier and digital calipers have NO dial, but are usually much
cheaper. My first set of calipers were vernier. Accurate enough, but
almost impossible to read when one's eyesight starts to go. I've also
seen all-plastic vernier and digital calipers. I'd avoid these.
Quality dial calipers can still be had, but they are not cheap. I've
seen cheapo (specially plastic) digital and vernier calipers for under
$10!

You might look at General Tool. They can be found in most US store
chains, like True Value, Walmart, etc. Relatively inexpensive tools,
but usually of decent usable quality. I think my first vernier
calipers might have been General Tool. They were fine when I
had 20-something eyes.

Good luck,
nb --geezer mechanic/machinist