Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Metalized paint

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015, Don Y wrote:

On 12/31/2015 10:57 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
The phone and CATV drops are superfluous, here. I ran them as a convenience
to any future homeowner :

Same here. Though my cable modem in now on the 4th floor and it is fed by
coax.

I plan on delivering video over the ethernet (hence the reason for four
drops in the living room -- so the TV can be placed in any corner!).

That could be an option here for a future homeowner.

Many rooms have two drops. None have more.

The family room has three, one on each of the front and back porches,
garage, store room, front hallway, kitchen cupboard, 2 on kitchen counter
(no RG6 there, though!), one in the equipment closet, etc.

I miscounted in my prior post. There are three drops in the bedroom. Two
with coax. None is a hall. The one drop in the kitchen does have RG6. The
kitchen is only 11' x 12'. Only one counter where one could put equipment.
Each deck has a drop.

No cameras. I have long thought of one aimed out the front. It would get
the areaway, the stoop and the sidewalk.

I have two on each corner of the house covering each "side" from two
different angles (eliminate blind spots). Additionally, one at the
front door watching the approach, another watching the *door* (i.e.,
the visitor's back) and the third acting as "doorbell", as
described above.

Being in a 20' wide row house there are no sides to look at. The sides are
solid brick. Hence there are no drops on the side walls. For someone to get
to the back yard they would have to climb over eight 6' high fences.
According to a neighbor, no one has ever been in the backyards in their 50
years here. I could monitor the raccoons going by. But I give the back yard
to my ground floor tenants. I wouldn't want to monitor them.

Each of these "dedicated drops" has a local processor (PoE, remember?).

Mine are simply all home run to either a closet on the fourth floor, or the
panel in the cellar. Nothing complicated for a future homeowner.

When the cable guy came to install the cable modem he took a look at the
closet with the wiring. He said he has been installing for 13 years. I am
only the fifth house where he has seen such wiring. I didn't ask further,
but I bet the others were new houses, and not one built in 1891 like mine.